LAS VEGAS – MMA Junkie was on stage and reporting live from Friday’s official UFC on ESPN 40 weigh-ins, where all but one fighter on Saturday’s card hit their marks.
In the main event, former light heavyweight title challenger Thiago Santos (22-10 MMA, 14-9 UFC) takes on Jamahal Hill (10-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC). Santos was the first fighter to scale in the two-hour window and was 206 pounds. Hill weighed in at 205.
The event also features the tournament finals in a pair of divisions from Season 30 of “The Ultimate Fighter.” Zac Pauga (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) was 239 pounds for his heavyweight final against 236.5-pound Mohammed Usman (7-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC), the brother of UFC welterweight champion Kamaru Usman.
And in the “TUF 30” women’s flyweight final, Juliana Miller (2-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) was 125 pounds for her fight against Brogan Walker (7-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who was 125.5.
Ariane Lipski (14-7 MMA, 3-4 UFC) who was 128.5 pounds for her women’s flyweight bout against Priscila Cachoeira (11-4 MMA, 3-4 UFC), who was 125.5. Lipski will be fined 20 percent of her purse. The weight miss was Lipski’s first in what will be her eighth UFC appearance.
Sam Alvey (33-17-1 MMA, 10-12 UFC) was the final fighter to come to the scale. He was heard telling the commission official, “Just say I’m perfect.” But he was not. He was 187 pounds on his first attempt. Alvey was given an additional hour to hit the non-title middleweight limit of 186 pounds. When he weighed in just near his one-hour limit, he was good at 186. His opponent, Michal Oleksiejczuk (16-5 MMA, 4-3 UFC), was 185.5. Alvey has not won since June 2018 and is 0-7-1 in his past eight fights, most of which, including a submission loss in February, were at light heavyeight.
The weigh-ins took place at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. The same venue hosts Saturday’s card, which airs on ESPN and streams on ESPN+.
The full UFC on ESPN 40 weigh-in results included:
MAIN CARD (ESPN/ESPN+, 10 p.m. ET)
- Thiago Santos (206) vs. Jamahal Hill (205)
- Vicente Luque (170.5) vs. Geoff Neal (171)
- Zac Pauga (239) vs. Mohammed Usman (236.5) – TUF 30 heavyweight final
- Juliana Miller (125) vs. Brogan Walker (125.5) – TUF 30 women’s flyweight final
- Augusto Sakai (260) vs. Sergei Spivac (249.5)
- Priscila Cachoeira (125.5) vs. Ariane Lipski (128.5)*
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN/ESPN+, 7 p.m. ET)
- Sam Alvey (186)** vs. Michal Oleksiejczuk (185.5)
- Erick González (155) vs. Terrance McKinney (155.5)
- Bryan Battle (171) vs. Takashi Sato (170.5)
- Josh Quinlan (169) vs. Jason Witt (170)
- Miranda Granger (115.5) vs. Cory McKenna (115.5)
- Stephanie Egger (134.5) vs. Mayra Bueno Silva (135.5)
*Lipski missed the women’s flyweight limit and will be fined 20 percent of her purse.
**Alvey missed the middleweight limit on his first attempt, but was given an additional hour and made weight on his second try.